What are the new features added in Java 8?
Java 8 comes with several new features a few of them are:
- Lambda Expressions − Lambda expressions are similar to methods, but they do not need a name and they can be implemented right in the body of a method.
- Method References − enable defining Lambda Expressions by referring to methods directly using their names
- Optional − special wrapper class used for expressing optionality
- Functional Interface – an interface with maximum one abstract method, implementation can be provided using a Lambda Expression
- Default methods − give us the ability to add full implementations in interfaces besides abstract methods
- Stream API − a special iterator class that allows processing collections of objects in a functional manner
- Date API − an improved, immutable JodaTime-inspired Date API
Along with these new features, lots of feature enhancements are done under-the-hood, at both compiler and JVM level.